Friday, July 29, 2011

"fully transparent, life is a BOS" Engadget Podcast 117

as I was listening to the podcast, it suddenly occurred to me that josh, nilay, and paul totally remind me of another important geek trio in my media-consumed life.  the geeks from Freaks and Geeks, duh - how did it take me so long to see this?


nilay is neal. intellectual, man-boy of action, and totally sure that he's not uncool.


um, of course paul is sam. sweet, conscientious, and guilelessly sincere.


who else would josh be but bill haverchuck? all-in, geek with pride, humor, and abandonment.


photo from betabeat.com

in podcast 117, the crew does a great job covering the election, the economy, apple, and stealing from big box stores.  they dismount with an unboxing and giveaway of a gears of war edition zune. 

another thing that struck me during this week is that one of the reasons why this podcast is so fun to listen to is that the laughter is infectious.  nilay's laughter is especially great, so it's nice that there's so much of it.  we learn to deal with our fears as we get older, and we also learn to love those things about ourselves that made us feel so self-conscious in our youth.  that's why it actually feels good to be teased by our friends once we get to a certain age. as adults, we're lucky to have friends that know how to make us laugh at ourselves.  there is a lot of charm in the way that josh, paul, and nilay poke fun at each other.

there are some passages here that definitely deserve a listen, if you have the time and inclination:

paul tells a story about how he went out to purchase rock band.
nilay observes that it's easy to walk out of best buy, even if the security system beeps at you.
josh describes a gears of war zune.
how do you say OS, how does paul say OS?
paul buys a set of headphones, entombed in a blister pack, after clearing security in an airport.
nazi germany.

my husband wants me to comment on current This Is My Next Podcasts. he thinks that I may be able to recruit readers, if I were to do that. his point is that people might actually be interested in what I post here if I was writing about current technology. to him I say, "but I'm not even talking about the technology." yes, I will forever be close to three years behind, but I don't think it matters all that much. you two readers have an opinion? let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment