Monday, October 10, 2011

The Verge - The Movie Version

I was driving into work today, listening to the (old) Engadget podcast, as always, and it occurred to me that had I been a student at a liberal arts university, I might be tempted to spin this project into some kind of masters or dissertation research. I was sort of giggling to myself, thinking about how to describe its relevance to history, the social discourse, and all of its possible intersection points with the current-day technological/social milieu when it dawned on me that "there are the makings of a movie script here."

I see it as a Wes Anderson style buddy film with elements of John Hughes conflict/romance and Cannonball Run type madcap activity. The movie would begin in the future, at a time where The Verge has largely become irrelevant, and the trio of Paul, Josh, and Nilay have only very loose associations. I think the perfect time in the future would be just as Josh and Nilay are about to turn 40 (years old). the website (The Verge) itself is run and written entirely by other people, but the three have figurative places on the staff. once this context is established, an "old school" press event is announced and the receipt of the invitation inspires Paul to round up Josh and Nilay to propose that they regain their former journalistic status by covering the event like they used to, and by getting at least one GREAT scoop. the great scoop, of course, becomes the focal point of the action - bumbling and poignant with some really good madcap comedic moments. the romance will be between Paul (still single) and a technology ingenue that they meet in the shuffle of "grabbing the scoop." while the scoop is the pivot around which the movie will revolve, the film is really about the relationship between the buddies, and their reunion and rejuvenation. the ending will be happy.  

who wants to collaborate on the script with me? anyone? hello?  

No comments:

Post a Comment